You are going to fall in love with how easy this Skillet Chicken Fajitas Meal Prep is to make! With classic fajita flavor, perfectly cooked chicken and veggies, a side of rice, and a few extra vegetables, you have a well-rounded meal. I love how easy this is, but mostly how healthy!
SKILLET CHICKEN FAJITAS SKILLET MEAL PREP
Needing that quick meal for days you have no time to cook? This Chicken Fajita Skillet Recipe is just the answer to your problem. Enjoy it with any side you want for meal prep or cut in into smaller pieces and make some quesadillas with it!
I love making a double batch of this and preparing it for dinner then lunches for a few days during the week. This recipe reheats beautifully, and the portions are big enough to be satisfying without feeling deprived. What more could I want in a meal prep recipe?
WHAT SIDES SHOULD I ADD WHEN MEAL PREPPING CHICKEN FAJITAS?
As you can see below, I added basic white rice, broccoli, corn, and some diced tomatoes. The two different options offer variety so I don't get bored with the same vegetables every day.
I made these Chicken Fajitas for meal-prep and paired them with steamed broccoli, rice, and some yummy corn or tomatoes. It really all depends on your preference. You can also serve it on a bed of lettuce and add shredded cheese, sour cream or salsa to the side.
Other suggestions that would go really well with this skillet chicken fajitas recipe are below.
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Sliced avocado
- Salsa, pico de gallo, or Verde sauce
- Zucchini or squash
- Black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, or even chili beans
HOW LONG ARE THESE MEAL PREP FAJITAS GOOD?
If storing these kits in the refrigerator, they are good for 3-4 days. When I make larger batches, I often prepare the meals, wrap or cover them well, then date and label the containers and freeze until I am ready to serve. This recipe is great for freezing in advance. Just pop into the refrigerator the night before you plan to eat them. Reheat as normal.
If you choose to freeze them, they are good for up to three (3) months in the freezer.
CAN I SERVE THIS AS QUESADILLAS OR TACOS?
This recipe for skillet chicken fajitas can easily be served with tortillas as a taco or even in a large tortilla with cheese as a quesadilla. If you plan to freeze them for later, you can simply wrap the tortillas and cheese separately and add with the container. You can also plan to keep those in stock in your refrigerator for those "just in case" days.
- Chicken Breast
- Purple Onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Fajita Sauce (I prefer Frontera brand)
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
HOW TO MAKE SKILLET CHICKEN FAJITAS
In a large skillet, add your oil, peppers, and onions and cook down stirring regularly until they are tender.
Once the vegetables are tender, add your cubed chicken breast pieces, and cook until the chicken is cooked through. You want the chicken to be brown and crispy on the outside, so make sure to stir regularly while cooking.
Pour in the fajita sauce, the lemon juice, and salt. Stir everything together to coat well, and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
Serve with tortillas as traditional fajitas, or in a bowl with rice and vegetables as shown.
If you try this Chicken Fajitas Meal Prep Idea and enjoyed it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
MORE MEXICAN INSPIRED RECIPES
- Creamy One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Shrimp Taco Bowl
- Beef Taco Pasta
- Mexican Chicken Tacos
- Steak Fajita Foil Packets
- Sheet Pan Cilantro Chicken With Lemon
Skillet Chicken Fajitas Meal Prep
- 2 chicken breast cubed
- 1 medium purple onion cubed
- 1/2 of each: red bell pepper green bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper - cubed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken fajita sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and cook the onion and peppers until well tender.
- Add the chicken and cook until they obtain a gold crispy coat.
- Add the salt and fajita sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- You want the chicken to be brown and crispy on the outside, so make sure to stir regularly while cooking.
- Serve with tortillas as traditional fajitas, or in a bowl with rice and vegetables as shown.
- For a low carb option use lettuce wraps.
- Top with sliced avocados - but only just before serving - avoid for meal prep of more than a day.
- Chop your chicken and veggies into a bite sized pieces. This is especially helpful for meal prep and if you're eating on the go!
- Add some crushed red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
- Top with sour cream or guac. For meal prep, put those sauces/toppings in a smaller container, don't add to the fajitas prior to serving.
- Swap out the chicken for shrimp or thinly sliced steak.