Pistachio Maamoul Cookies (معمول بالفستق) are another version of Maamoul Cookies served in the Middle East. They are extremely delicious and served during many occasions including Eid El-Fitr at the end of Ramadan.
WHAT ARE PISTACHIO MAALOUL COOKIES (معمول بالفستق)?
Maamoul is usually the general term of this type of cookie. It is filled with either Dates, Pistachios, Walnuts, Pecans and even some people fill them with dried fruits like figs. But my favorites are the Date and Pistachio filled Maamouls. Pistachio Maamouls are a little different than Date Maamouls. They are are filled with ground Pistachio and powdered with confectioner sugar after baking. They are served in homes through out the year and most famous during religious holidays.
HOW ARE THE PISTACHIO MAAMOUL COOKIES SHAPED?
The Maamoul cookies are made in molds that come in different shapes and patterns. You can find them at most Middles Eastern grocery stores or even online. Certain shapes are used for each of the types of Maamoul so people recognize what type of filling is inside. The patterns on them can be different. The Pistachio Maamouls have a long shape unlike the round shape of the Date Maamouls. I like that wooden ones with deeper engravings on them so that the pattern comes out clear after you press it down to form it’s shape.
HOW TO MAKE THE PISTACHIO MAAMOUL COOKIES (معمول بالفستق):
Start with the dough. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and knead very well with your hand. You can also use a cake stand mixer, which is what I do and just use a flat cake attachment and mix it slowly until they are well incorporated together. Cover and let the dough rest for 2 hours. Most people leave it overnight, but I am never that patient. It comes out perfect just the way I make it. No need to wait. Once the time is done, you form them into ball portions and cover them.
Meanwhile, you can prepare the filling. In a food processer, process the raw pistachios along with the confectioner sugar and orange blossoms water to form a pasty nut filling. Do not over process. They should stay a little bit grainy. Use one full teaspoon (regular teaspoon) to fill each piece of the portioned dough.
When you have everything ready, press a piece of the dough into a flat shape, then add the Pistachio filling in the middle and wrap the dough around it to cover the filling completely. Press the dough into the mold and the tap the mold on the counter so it falls out.
Once that part is done, lay the pieces on a sheet pan with parchment paper or a non-stick pan until you finish the rest of the cookies. Give it a little spray of oil with oil spray and bake them in the oven for 20 minutes.
You can then let the Pistachio Maamoul Cookies (معمول بالفستق) cool at room temperature and then dust them with confectioner sugar. Store in an air tight container. They will last at their best for 1 week at least. Be sure to let me know if you liked these yummy cookies and leave a rating on my recipe card. You can also share and save it to your Pinterest or Facebook feed. Tag me on my Instagram so I can repost your delicious Pistachio Maamoul Cookies!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Pistachio Maamoul Cookies are very famous traditional Middle Eastern cookies that have been around for generations. They are stuffed with ground pistachios and dusted with powdered sugar.
- 3 cups coarse semolina
- 2 cups fine semolina (ferkha)
- 1 cup flour
- 1.5 cup butter, (melted)
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsps. orange blossoms water (ma-zaher)
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 2 cups of ground raw pistachios
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 tbsp. orange blossoms water
- Oil Spray
- Maamoul mold
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and knead very well with your hand. You can also use a cake stand mixer, using a flat cake attachment or dough attachment. Mix slowly until they are well incorporated together. Cover and let the dough rest for 2 hours. While you wait for the dough to rest, prepare the filling by mixing the ingredients together.
- Once the time is up, form the dough into ball portions and cover them to prevent drying.
- Press a piece of the dough into a flat shape, then add a tablespoon of pistachio filling in the middle and wrap the dough around it to cover the filling completely.
- Press the ball shaped dough well into the mold and the tap the mold on the counter so it falls out.
- Once that part is done, lay the pieces on a sheet pan with parchment paper or a non-stick pan until you finish the rest of the balls.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool on room temperature.
- Dust with sugar and store in an air tight container.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 6.6g
- Sodium: 61mg
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 31.2g
- Protein: 6.2g
Keywords: Pistachio Maamoul Cookies