Namoura (نمورة), is a delicious Lebanese cake/dessert that is super easy to make and widely known across the Middle East. It is topped with almonds, baked and then soaked with an aromatic sugar.
WHAT IS NAMOURA (نمورة)?
This Namoura dessert is the classic recipe of the original Lebanese Namoura. Many other Middle Eastern cultures called it by other names. Egyptians call it Basbousa, Palestinians call is Harissa, Armenians call it Shamali, Persians call it Revani/Ravani, which even Greeks have adapted. But ofcorse they are made slightly different based on their culture and traditions. I know Basbousa, which my husband really likes, is the coconut version of this recipe. Namoura is served all year round and during many religious festivities.
HOW TO MAKE THE NAMOURA (نمورة)?
The Namoura (نمورة) cake is so easy to make. In a large bowl mix the sugar, semolina, and butter together. Then add in the milk, baking powder, orange blossoms water, yogurt and mix well to obtain a thick sticky batter.
Brush a non-stick sheet pan (which I prefer using because I like my Namoura cake thin, about an inch and half thick at the most) with tahini paste and then place the batter on it and flatten out completely with a spatula or your palm.
Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then cut out the namoura into square patterns or diamond shape patterns, whatever you prefer. I do it like this because it looks pretty. Then press a piece of halved raw almond (peeled) on each piece of cut out cake. The reason I cut it out before baking is because it makes the cutting later so much easier and doesn't break apart as much. the pieces come one perfectly cut on the edges.
Bake the Namoura cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, and if the top if not gold enough for you, you can broil it for a few minutes. I just don't like to over cook the Namoura because it becomes try and too crunch. That is why if it needs any more color, I just broil the top. Once you remove from the oven, pour 1 1/4 cup of sugar syrup evenly over the Namoura while it's hot. I like using those ketchup or mustard rubber containers to drizzle the sugar syrup over the cake. We don't like the cake super sweet. Some people drench the cake with sugar and that is one reason I don't like to buy this cake and would rather make it at home. If you like it super sweet, feel free to add some more sugar syrup to it.
That's all it takes to make this delicious Namoura (نمورة) recipe. Namoura is very popular during Ramadan. I love the fact that the portions are small and you don't have to eat a huge piece. You can enjoy a small piece whenever you have a sweet tooth. I hope you enjoy this recipe and have a minute to Share and Rate it! Be sure to tag and follow me on my Instagram as well. I would love to hear your feedback! Xoxo...
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
- 3 cups semolina flour coarse
- 1.5 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt plain, not greek
- 1 cup evaporated milk carnation
- 3 tbsp. orange blossoms water
- 2 tbsps tahini paste for rubbing the tray
- 1/2 cup almonds (peeled and halved) for topping
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsps. orange blossoms water
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, semolina, and butter together. Add in the milk, orange blossoms water, baking powder, yogurt and mix well to obtain a thick sticky batter.
- Line a half sheet pan (non stick) with parchment paper, brush with the tahini paste and then place the batter on it and spread out with a spatula or your palm.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then cut out the namoura into square patterns or diamond shape patterns, whatever you prefer.
- Bake the Namoura cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until brown and toothpick comes out clean. You can turn on the broiler to broil the top a few minutes if you would like to obtain a darker golden color.
- Remove from the oven and pour 1 1/4 cup of sugar syrup evenly over the Namoura while it's hot. Let it cool at room temperature before serving.
- In a small pot, mix the sugar and water well until the sugar dissolves. Bing to boil and then start timing 5 minutes time on medium heat.
- Add in the lemon juice and orange blossoms water and boil for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool down.