Sfouf (Lebanese Tumeric Cake) is a delicious Lebanese cake that it super easy to make. It has been around for generations, very known for it’s unique flavor and popularity.
WHAT IS SFOUF (LEBANESE TUMERIC CAKE)?
Sfouf is a popular turmeric and semolina based cake that is very popular in the Middle East. Sfouf is Lebanese cake made with very few ingredients. I LOVE Sfouf! My mom made it all the time at home as we grew up and even as kids we absolutely loved this cake. It’s one of my favorite cakes. It also does not have any eggs or butter so many vegetarians are a huge fan of this delicious cake. This cake is served on many occasions with coffee, tea or juice.
HOW TO MAKE THE SFOUF (LEBANESE TUMERIC CAKE):
Sfouf is super easy to make. I first mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl or an electric mixer. And then I add in the wet ingredients. This prevent the clumping of the turmeric and aniseed powder and comes out evenly mixed.
In a 9 x13 inch pan, brush the pan with tahini (sesame paste) and pour in the batter. Let the batter rest for about 10 minutes on your kitchen counter and then add in the pine nuts to the top. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes on 375 degree oven. Insert a tooth pic and make sure it comes out clean before removing from the oven, cover with towel and let it cool completely on room temperature.
If the top is not as brown as you would like to have it, you can always turn on the broiler and broil it for just a couple of minutes keeping a close eye on it. Once you get the desired color if you do that step, remove and cover with a towel to cool on room temperature. Try to let it cool down completely before cutting the pieces to avoid broken edges.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Sfouf (Lebanese Tumeric Cake) recipe with your family and friends. This recipe is perfect for the Eid and that’s coming up very soon! I can’t believe Ramadan is almost over. If you try this recipe, please tag me on my Instagram so I can see your delicious recreations! XoXo…
OTHER LEBANESE DESSERTS YOU MAY LIKE:Print
Sfouf (Lebanese Tumeric Cake) is a delicious Lebanese cake that is made with semolina flour, tumeric and other simple ingredients. It’s super easy to make.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups fine semolina flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups warm milk
- 3 tbsps. turmeric powder (curcuma)
- 1.5 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsps. ground aniseed powder (yensoon)
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1/4 cup raw pine nuts
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup of water (if dough is too stiff)
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together. Then add in all the wet ingredients and continue mixing until you obtain a nice smooth yellow cake batter. If dough is too thick, you can add 1/4 cup of water.
- Coat the pan with tahini paste and pour in the batter into the baking pan. Let it rest for 10 minutes and then spread the pine nuts on top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool on room temperature before cutting.
- Serve with tea or coffee and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 26.8g
- Sodium: 74.5mg
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Protein: 7.3g