Creamy Sundried Tomato Chicken Thighs are the go-to weeknight dinner you need in your life! 30 minutes is all it takes to make these juicy low carb chicken thighs.
WHAT ARE CREAMY SUNDRIED TOMATO CHICKEN THIGHS
These creamy tomato chicken thighs are one of my favorite dinner recipes to make! Juicy chicken thighs cook in a creamy sundried tomato pesto sauce for a flavor packed dinner.
Your busy weeknights need this creamy chicken recipe! I know that at the end of the day, I don’t want to spend too long in the kitchen cooking but I still want my family to enjoy a home cooked meal. This high protein and low carb dinner cooks up in about 30 minutes making it the ultimate weeknight meal.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY TOMATO CHICKEN THIGHS
Chicken Thighs – boneless, chicken thighs coated in a chicken seasoning pan sear for a deliciously juicy meat in this dinner. I like to keep the skin on to keep the chicken extra moist during the cooking process.
Chicken Seasoning– flour, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt season the chicken thighs before they are cooked in the pan.
Creamy Sundried Tomato Sauce– sundried tomato pesto, herbs, garlic, onion, and bell pepper cook with heavy cream, parmesan cheese, chicken broth, spinach, and basil in this dreamy sauce!
To begin, dice the onion and bell pepper. Mince the garlic and chop the basil. Set these aside.
Prepare the chicken by trimming any excess fat and pat the chicken dry. This will allow the coating to stick to the chicken thighs.
Next, in a small bowl mix together flour, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Coat each boneless chicken thigh front and back with the seasoning.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, place the chicken thighs into the skillet and pan sear for 6 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 6 minutes as well or until golden and almost fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add an additional tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and caramelize the onion. Once the onion is caramelized add the sundried tomato pesto and stir. Then, add the minced garlic, diced pepper, black pepper, salt, and herbs blend. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Next, pour in the heavy cream and chicken broth, mix well. Cover and simmer on low heat for a few minutes until the sauce thickens up a bit.
Add the basil, spinach, and parmesan cheese. Mix and cover again for another couple of minutes.
Return the chicken thighs back into the skillet and spoon sauce over the chicken to drench. Cover and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove the skillet from heat, garnish with some fresh chopped basil and serve.
TIPS FOR COOKING SUNDRIED TOMATO CHICKEN THIGHS
- Use boneless, skin-on chicken thighs. Even if you don’t eat the skin, keep it on during the cooking process to keep the chicken from drying out.
- If you are worried your chicken isn’t fully cooked, check the temperature by using a digital thermometer at the thickest point of the chicken. 165° F is what the FDA considers a safe temperature.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT CAN YOU SERVE THIS WITH?
Many different sides go well with these creamy sundried tomato chicken thighs.
To keep the whole meal low carb serve these chicken thighs with a side of fresh veggie noodles like zoodles. A mixed veggie side or fresh salad also pairs well with these pan cooked chicken thighs.
If you are wanting to add a few carbs to your plate, this creamy chicken also pairs well with a side of pasta. You can also serve these chicken thighs up with a side of potatoes such as mashed potatoes, grilled potatoes, baked potatoes, or even some fries!
CAN THIS BE A KETO RECIPE?
As is, the recipe is low-carb, but if you are looking to convert this recipe into a Keto approved meal here are a few simple swaps you will want to consider.
Replace the flour with almond flour. Almond flour is often used as an all-purpose flour replacement on the keto diet. You can also leave the flour out entirely and just season the chicken thighs with the spices.
Swap the red bell pepper for a green bell pepper. This is the lowest carb pepper on the keto diet.
Omit the onion. Many people on the keto diet often omit the use of onions in recipes because they are higher in sugar than most other vegetables.
Did you try this Creamy Sundired Tomato Chicken Thighs and just love it?! Please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
OTHER DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken Thighs
- Cheesy Sundried Tomato Stuffed Chicken
- Spicy Sriracha Chicken
- Creamy Chicken and Tomato Pasta
Creamy Sundried Tomato Chicken Thighs
- 6 Chicken Thighs large, boneless
- 2 Tbsp Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 tsp. Herb de Provence
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic minced
- 1 Onion small, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper petit diced
- 1 handful Fresh baby spinach
- ½ c. Parmesan Cheese
- 1 c. Heavy Cream
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- Chopped Basil for garnish
- ¼ c. Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- To begin, dice the onion and bell pepper. Mince the garlic and chop the basil. Set aside.
- To prepare the chicken, trim the excess fat and pat the chicken thighs dry.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Coat both sides of the chicken thighs with the rub.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Pan sear the chicken for 6 minutes. Flip and sear the other side for 6 minutes, until golden and almost fully cooked. Set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and diced onions to the pan. Caramelize the onion. Add the sundried tomato pesto and stir. Then add the garlic, diced pepper, black pepper, herbs de Provence, and salt, stir then simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, pour in the heavy cream and chicken broth. Mix well. Cover and simmer on low heat for a few minutes until the sauce thickens up a bit.
- Add the basil, spinach, and parmesan cheese. Mix into the sauce and cover again for another few minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and drench with the sauce. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh basil.