Classic Chocolate Chip Pancakes are a childhood favorite that everyone needs to know how to make. Whether you have kids clamoring around the kitchen counter to taste them, or you want to relive your own childhood, this recipe is soon to be a favorite.
Make this classic recipe taste even more amazing with a special ingredient and just the right amount of your favorite melty chocolate chips in the batter.
CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES
When I think of the perfect breakfast, I often come back to pancakes. They are so satisfying, and yet, so very versatile. You can make pancakes with any flavor you want, including some savory options. With just a few substitutions, you can make them vegan, vegetarian, or even gluten-free. Pancakes are just truly one of the most versatile options on your breakfast menu.
I have made mixed berry pancakes for a light treat that feels healthy. Of course, my pumpkin pancake bites are a favorite in the fall, but I knew I needed a pancake recipe that would be a hit with everyone in the house. That’s why I updated my recipe and included chocolate chips. I knew I needed another great family-friendly breakfast option and already had the bones of a perfect pancake recipe to create it with.
WHAT IS THE BEST CHOCOLATE FOR THESE PANCAKES?
While I suggest using mini chocolate chips, I do have some personal favorite brands for the right flavor profile and best melting. Most commonly found chocolate chips are semi-sweet, but in this recipe, I really do prefer to use milk chocolate. It has been my experience that when making chocolate chip pancakes for kids, they much prefer the mellow milk chocolate over the slightly bitter semi-sweet chocolate.
My favorite brand is Ghiradelli, but classic Nestle Toll House morsels are another great option. You can, of course, use any preferred brand of chocolate chip, or even chocolate chunks if you wish when making this recipe.
Here’s what I used in these fluffy pancakes, including any substitutions you can make.
- All-Purpose Flour – Substitute with gluten-free flour if you need to
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- Mini Chocolate Chips
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES
My super “secret” special ingredients are buttermilk and a bit of extra lemon juice. It cuts the sweetness just enough to make these the perfect fluffy and sweet pancakes without being too sweet.
First, I make sure I sift all of my dry ingredients together in one bowl. I don’t like lumps in my pancakes. I use a fine sieve to sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
Next, I whisk together my wet ingredients. I like making sure my sugar and butter combine well, and I always whisk the eggs really well. Nobody wants an eggy pancake. Incorporating all of this with the buttermilk and lemon juice is a must.
Once I am ready to combine the wet and dry ingredients, I make sure my skillet or griddle is ready and then mix the batter. Gently fold in the chocolate chips last, and then begin making the pancakes.
A griddle or large skillet is best when making pancakes so you have plenty of room to flip them. They taste the best when you serve them with butter, syrup, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar or dollop of whipped cream on top.
If you try this Classic Chocolate Chip Pancakes recipe and like it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
- Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
- Strawberry Nutella French Toast
- Easy Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- Pumpkin Waffles
Chocolate Chip Pancake recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp melted butter cooled + more for cooking
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, vanilla, egg, and lemon juice. Whisk in buttermilk until combined.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Heat a griddle pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp butter to the pan. Working in batches, scoop 1/3 cups of batter and add to the pan, forming circles. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until bubbles form around the edges of the pancakes. Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup!
- Swap for gluten free flour and gluten free chocolate chips if you'd like this Chocolate Chip Pancake recipe to be gluten free.
- Make sure your ingredients are up to room temp, this makes for less lumpy batter and easier mixing.
- Don't overmix your batter or you pancakes will come out chewy and tough.
- Use a fine sieve to sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, for a smooth batter.
- Don't skip on the lemon juice, it balances out the sweetness nicely. Add a touch more if your pancakes are too sweet.
- For soft and tender pancakes allow your batter to rest for a few minutes.
- A griddle or large skillet is best when making pancakes so you have plenty of room to flip them.
- These chocolate chip pancakes taste best when you serve them with butter, syrup, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar or dollop of whipped cream on top.