You are going to fall in love with this recipe for Mixed Berry Buttermilk Pancakes. They are light and fluffy with just enough sweetness to feel decadent as a breakfast. Adding your favorite berries to the top makes this a great meal to start your day full of flavor and those antioxidants for extra fuel.
MIXED BERRY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES RECIPE
A delicious plate topped with buttermilk pancakes is a favorite way to indulge in the morning. Adding in a few fresh berries just adds to the deliciousness of this recipe. When berries are in season, I love adding them to every meal possible. The best thing about this recipe though is the fact that you can easily make these with frozen berries if that is all that you have on hand at the time.
WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE BUTTERMILK?
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to fill up 1 cup measurement of milk. So, a cup of milk, minus one tablespoon, plus one tablespoon of either lemon juice or vinegar, and you will have buttermilk for your recipe! Stir this together and let sit for about five minutes before using in a recipe.
I love using it in my buttermilk pancakes. It adds a ton of flavor and makes them extra fluffy.
This is a handy way of having buttermilk on hand if you won't be using it very often. I know that buttermilk will sit in the refrigerator for too long sometimes if I don't need it for many recipes. This is my solution to add the flavor without wasting buttermilk down the road.
CAN BUTTERMILK PANCAKES BE MADE AHEAD AND FROZEN?
Yes! One of my favorite things about this buttermilk pancakes recipe is that I can mix them up, cook them, cool them, and then put them in the freezer. If you choose to make them and freeze for later, make sure you separate each pancake with a bit of parchment paper before freezing. This keeps them from sticking together.
When you freeze these buttermilk pancakes, you will want to label and date the freezer storage bag so you know when they were made. These last for up to three months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and pop into a toaster or oven to bring to temperature.
WHAT SHOULD I TOP A BUTTERMILK PANCAKE WITH?
This pancake recipe has you add a few berries while cooking, but I love adding even more berries to the top once they are cooked through. Pancakes are one of those incredibly versatile options for breakfast. You can add in tons of ingredients for flavor, or simply top them with your favorites. Below are some of the things I love adding to this mixed berry pancake recipe.
- Macerated berries
- Fresh berry jam
- Maple syrup
- Caramel or butterscotch syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Cinnamon sugar
- Whipped cream
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Maple Syrup
- Powdered sugar
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK PANCAKES WITH BERRIES
To make these pancakes, you will mix together your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl.
In a separate bowl, you will blend together the wet ingredients. This includes buttermilk, butter, and egg yolks. Save the whites for later.
Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Next, you will add your egg whites to a bowl and whisk or beat until soft peaks form. At this point, you will fold those into the pancake batter gently.
Heat your griddle or skillet and drop 1/3 cup batter onto the hot surface. Once on the griddle, you will drop a few berries on top of the batter.
Cook each pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are browning on the bottom and bubbling on top. Flip the pancakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Top your buttermilk pancakes with more berries, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.
If you try this Mixed Berry Buttermilk Pancakes recipe and like it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
MORE PANCAKE RECIPES
Below are a few of my favorite pancake recipes. These are perfect for adding a sweet recipe to your breakfast routine!
The Best Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1/4 cup butter melted + more unmelted butter for cooking
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a separate medium bowl, stir together egg yolks, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, add the egg whites. Whisk or beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the pancake batter.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Melt 1/2 Tbsp butter in the pan. Drop 1/3? cup of batter in circles around the pan, working in batches.
- Once you drop the pancake batter, top each pancake with a variety of berries. Cook
- for three minutes, then turn and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup and powdered sugar.
- NOTE: You can use frozen berries, just make sure they are thawed and drained
- when you drop them in the batter.
- You can use frozen berries, just make sure they are thawed and drained
- Whisk your dry ingredients to avoid big lumps.
- Don't overmix your batter. Resting the batter will take cake of any small lumps.
- Make sure to use a big skillet or, even better, a griddle.
- Wipe your pan between cooking your batches. When using butter in the skillet, the butter will eventually burn, you don't want that sticking to your new pancakes, so just wipe clean before dropping in the new batch!
- Keep your pancakes warm in the oven while you are cooking the rest of your pancakes.
- Keep you eye on the pancakes! Pancakes can become overdone or burn quick, so keep your eye on them and you'll have the Best Buttermilk Pancakes in no time!