Cajun Mac and Cheese with bits of chicken are an all in one dish that you will love serving for dinner. Perfectly al dente pasta, creamy cheese sauce, and a crispy topping come together with cajun flavors to please your palate.
CAJUN MAC AND CHEESE
This easy cajun chicken flavored macaroni and cheese is your family’s favorite Mac N’ Cheese recipe with added Cajun Chicken to spice it up. Bonus? It’s also kid-friendly!
We all love Mac N’ Cheese to begin with, especially kids, but having the extra proteins in there is a plus. I prefer using a less spicy version of Cajun seasoning to keep this Easy Cajun Chicken Mac N’ Cheese a kid-friendly recipe!
CAN YOU USE ROTISSERIE CHICKEN IN THIS RECIPE?
If you already have rotisserie chicken on hand, you can easily add it to the recipe. Sprinkle it with cajun seasoning and mix in after skipping the cooking step in the directions. It works perfectly well for this recipe and saves time in the kitchen which means more time with your family.
WHAT VEGETABLES WORK IN THIS RECIPE?
If you want to add a vegetable on the side, anything your family enjoys will work. You can also mix a vegetable into the dish before baking. I like cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, and even bell pepper pieces in this recipe for added texture and nutrients. Mix and match your favorites to make this truly an all in one meal.
HOW TO MAKE THE CAJUN CHICKEN MAC N’ CHEESE:
I listed in the recipe below how to make the plain Mac N’ Cheese base. I usually cook the pasta and use some Velveeta cheese if I don’t have time to make it from scratch. If you like the flavor very bold, you can add extra Cajun seasoning in the Mac N’ Cheese recipe.
For the chicken, you pan sear them with the Cajun seasoning and add them on top of your cooked Mac N’ Cheese. You top with cheese and bread seasoned crumbs and bake it in the oven.
Don’t forget to use an oven-safe skillet or dish to make this delicious recipe!
MORE MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES
- Creamy Spinach Pasta Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe
- One-Pot Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
- Jalapeno Cheddar Mac N’ Cheese
- Creamy Broccoli Mac N’ Cheese
If you try this recipe and like it, please use my hashtag and share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! Follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
Cajun Chicken Mac N' Cheese
- 2 chicken breasts cubed or julienned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
Mac N’ Cheese
- 12 oz uncooked pasta shells
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese or any kind of creamy cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter for the bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese for the topping
- Marinate the chicken and pan sear them half way through. Set aside.
- Prepare the pasta according to package instructions.
- In a frying pan,melt 2 tbsp of butter then stir in the Panko crumbs and cajun seasoning. Toss around until it’s golden and then remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a heated skillet, melt the butter and add in the flour. Mix well together.
- Add the milk, black pepper, onion powder and salt. Bring to boil while mixing constantly until the sauce thickens up.
- Add the cheese and stir well to obtain a smooth cheesy sauce.
- Stir in the cooked pasta until it’s well coated with the cheese.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add the chicken on top of the mac n cheese. Top with 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese and cover with the panko crumbs.
- Place in a 350 degrees preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve.