This One Pot Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese is a quick and healthy dinner recipe your whole family will love! Whole wheat pasta helps make this mac and cheese healthier while keeping all of the yummy flavor.
When it comes to a healthier mac and cheese there are many things you can do. I think the easiest way to make macaroni and cheese healthier is simply by using a whole wheat pasta. This One Pot Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese has extra fiber while keeping all of the delicious flavor!
HOW TO MAKE ONE POT WHOLE WHEAT MACARONI AND CHEESE
To begin, rinse your whole wheat elbow macaroni in a strainer and then set aside. Meanwhile, fill a medium sized pot with 3 cups of water. Then, add the whole wheat macaroni to the pot of water and bring to a low simmer on medium heat.
Once the water is simmering add two cups of skim milk to the pot and return to a simmer. When the liquid is back to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium low and cook the whole wheat macaroni until it is cooked through, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. There should still be some milk in the pot when the macaroni is finished cooking.
At this point, over low heat, stir in the 2 Tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp garlic, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper along with the 6 oz cheddar cheese and 4 oz jack cheese until the cheeses are melted. If this mixture is too thick, stir in 1 Tbsp of milk at a time until the One Pot Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese has reached your desired consistency.
When you are ready to serve, season with additional salt and pepper to taste and top with fresh parsley.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING WHOLE WHEAT MAC AND CHEESE
A few things you might want to remember are when you get ready to make your whole wheat mac and cheese, remember to rinse your pasta first. While the pasta is cooking, make sure you do not let all of the liquid cook out of the pot, you will need it when you add the cheese and spices. Lastly, depending on the consistency you like for your mac and cheese, add additional milk in 1 Tbsp increments.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! If you make this delicious One Pot Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese tag me on Instagram and tag the recipe with #cookinwithmima so I can see and share all of your delicious recreations. Xoxo…
RECIPES SIMILAR TO ONE POT WHOLE WHEAT MACARONI AND CHEESE
One Pot Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 4 oz grated jack cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Using a strainer, rinse macaroni shells in cold water. Set aside.
- Add water and shells to a large pot. Bring to a low simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once it reaches a simmer, add milk and bring back to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook shells through, stirring frequently, approximately 5 minutes. There should still be milk in the pot.
- Stir in spices and cheeses over low heat, until cheese is melted. If the macaroni and cheese is too thick, add milk 1 Tbsp at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of fresh parsley.