This Creamy Spinach Pasta Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe is an upscale version of a childhood classic. The addition of spinach, a light pesto sauce, and a delicious blend of Parmesan and pecorino cheese creates a mouthwatering pasta dish. This flavor combination is surprisingly full of flavor and packed cheesy goodness.
How to Make Creamy Spinach Pasta
Cook your pasta as directed. I prefer a perfectly al dente macaroni for this creamy spinach pasta. Not hard, but with a bit of texture. Whatever you do, make sure you don’t overcook your pasta!
While your pasta is cooking, you will make a simple roux with butter, flour, spices, salt, half and half and milk in a large skillet. Once the roux is made, you will stir in the spinach and then cheese. Once this is combined, you will add in your cooked macaroni.
Stir well until all macaroni is covered in this delightful creamy sauce.
SERVING THIS HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
I love to serve with a bit of fresh cracked black pepper and freshly shave Parmesan on top! While I think this creamy spinach pasta recipe is perfect by itself, you may prefer to serve this as a side dish. If that is the case, then it works wonderfully alongside a nicely cooked steak, grilled chicken, or even sautéed shrimp.
Whatever protein you choose to go along with this homemade mac and cheese recipe, you will want to make sure it is a bit lighter or without a sauce. The richness of this pasta dish is more than enough to satisfy your taste buds.
If you try this Creamy Spinach Mac and Cheese recipe and enjoyed it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
MORE HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES
- Creamy Broccoli Mac N’ Cheese
- Jalapeno Cheddar Mac N’ Cheese
- One-Pot Whole Wheat Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy Spinach Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz. Cavatappi macaroni uncooked, or any other pasta
- 3 Tbsps. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsps. all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1½ cup sharp white cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ¾ tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 handful fresh spinach lightly chopped
- Cook Pasta according to pasta directions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and sauté the unions until translucent in color then add in the garlic to sauté for about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook until well combined.
- Whisk in milk, half and half, salt, black pepper and bring the mixture to a simmer. Then add in the white cheddar and parmesan cheese. Cook until thickened on low heat for approximately 3-5 minutes. Add in the spinach and mix to cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the macaroni and cover to cook on low heat for another 3-5 minutes. Garnish with some freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve.