Creamy Broccoli Mac N’ Cheese, another one of my favorite weeknight dinners. Takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and the kids absolutely love it!
When it comes to dinner dishes, I don’t like to make complicated meals that take longer than 30 minutes to make. After school we barely have time to get through dinner time and start on kids homework or head out for activities. I have having to wash many dishes as well. So I keep it simple. This dish is made in one pan, and that's about it. You will however need a strainer to bowl to drain the cooked past and set aside until you finish preparing the base.
HOW TO PREPARE THE CREAMY BROCCOLI MAC N’ CHEESE:
The very first thing I do is prepare the pasta shells as directed on the package. Before draining, save 1 and 1/2 cups of pasta water and set them aside. I usually cook about 12 ounces and it serves 4 of us.
In a pan or pot, start by melting the butter and then add the flour. Mix until they are well incorporated. Add the milk, pasta water, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and mix very well until you obtain a smooth creamy texture.
Add the cheddar cheese and mix again until the cheese melts and incorporates with the creamy sauce. At this point you can add the macaroni shells, broccoli florets and mix everything together one more time. Let them cook for a few minutes until the broccoli florets are tender and then remove to serve.
This Creamy Broccoli Mac N’ Cheese is super easy to make. You can also add some pieces of grilled chicken cubes if you want to add proteins to it. It makes it even more complete. This recipe makes a great lunch box food option as well. They can easily warm it in school or if you have a punch box that keeps the temperature warm, that would be awesome! I pack my kids lunch in an Omie Lunch box(available on amazon) and I absolutely love it. When Zane was young, he would only eat certain foods from home that needed to stay warm, and it was a life saver!
I hope you try and enjoy this recipe! And if you do, please tag me on my INSTAGRAM so I can repost your delicious recreations! XoXo…
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
- 8 oz pasta shells
- 2 tbsps. flour
- 3 tbsps. butter full fat butter
- 1.5 cups pasta water save after cooking pasta
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1.5 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- Start by cooking the pasta as directed.Save 1.5 cups of pasta water. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a pan or pot, melt the butter and add the flour. Mix until they are well incorporated.
- Add the milk, pasta water, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and mix very well until you obtain a smooth creamy texture.
- Add the cheddar cheese and mix again until the cheese melts and incorporates with the creamy sauce. At this point you can add the cooked pasta shells, broccoli florets and mix everything together one more time.
- Let them cook for a few minutes until the broccoli florets are tender and then remove to serve.