You can prepare this veggie hashbrown with eggs with ease for your family and enjoy every bit of it. It’s super delicious and family-friendly.
What Are Veggie Hashbrowns?
A simple hashbrown breakfast never goes out of style. Whether you make it plain or with added veggies, it’s always a win win. This veggie hashbrown and eggs recipe makes a perfect breakfast for the family.
It is packed with vegetables. I’ll show you how versatile it is and give you a few different ideas and swaps you can try.
Why We Love This Breakfast Skillet
There are so many ways you can make it.
This veggie hashbrown and eggs recipe can also be made without the eggs. You can serve it with just toast on the side if you are vegetarian and even pair it with vegetarian sausage. I have tried them with vegetarian hot dogs before. I pan sear the hot dogs and serve them as a side dish.
I also love that the entire recipe is made in one pan. I use my cast iron skillet all the time. It’s so easy to use and can go from stovetop to oven.
HOW TO MAKE VEGGIE HASHBROWNS
If you have ever wanted to make your own hashbrowns from scratch, then you’ll really enjoy this recipe. It’s so easy, don’t be intimidated.
Here’s what I used in my veggie hashbrowns, along with any substitutions you can make.
Frozen Hashbrown – Using a bag of frozen hashbrowns will save you lots of time shredding potatoes. If you want, you can shred your own potatoes, but don’t forget to use a cheesecloth and wring out as much water as you can.
Olive Oil – I love cooking with extra virgin olive oil. You can also use avocado oil or coconut oil.
Peppers – I diced up some red and green bell peppers. You can also add some yellow peppers too.
Onion – The purple onion gives it a nice sweet flavor. Any onion will work.
Green Onion – I used green onion slices as a garnish. It adds some lovely pops of color to it.
Eggs – Use your favorite eggs. These can be omitted too if you don’t want to put them on top.
First I start by preparing my hashbrowns. I add the spices, salt and olive oil to them and mix. In a heated pan, I like using non-stick pans like t-fal, sear the potatoes and mix frequently so that the hashbrowns get a nice crispy color.
Meanwhile, dice your favorite veggies. I usually add onions and different kinds of peppers. I like using purple onions just to add more colors to the meal but you can use regular onions. When the potatoes are ready, toss them over the hashbrowns and mix everything well. Cover and keep on medium-low heat until the veggies get tender. It takes about 5 minutes.
Crack over your eggs and add some salt on top of them if you need to. Cover and let the eggs cook through to your desired preference.
Sprinkle some fresh ground pepper, chili flakes, fresh chives, and sliced jalapeños on top for garnishing.
If you try this Veggie Hashbrown recipe and love it, please leave a rating on my recipe card. You can use my hashtag or tag me on your story to share it with me on INSTAGRAM so I see your delicious recreations! You can also follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on all my social channels, FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST for my latest social posts and recipes.
OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
Veggie Hashbrown with Eggs
- 1 pack of frozen hashbrowns 16 oz
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced purple onion
- 4 eggs
- Chili flakes
- Ground black pepper
- Sliced Jalapeños
- In a bowl, place the hashbrowns, 2 tbsp olive oil, black pepper, salt and mix well.
- In a non stick pan, bring 1 tbsp of olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the hashbrowns and sauté them until they obtain a golden crisp coat, turning them over periodically. (Takes about 5-7 minutes)
- Add on the veggies and mix everything well. Place the lid on and let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and crack 4 eggs on top of the hashbrowns. Place the lid on and cook the eggs until desired preference.
- Remove from the heat and top with the garnishing ingredients: chili flakes, chives, ground black pepper and sliced jalapeños.
- You can also use avocado oil or coconut oil instead of olive oil.
- Fell free to omit the eggs, it's still super hearty.
- I used purple onions but you can certainly use regular onions, both work well.
- Omit the chili flakes for less heat, or you can squeeze on sriracha for more heat, it adds a great salty, savory punch!
Leave A Reply & Rate Recipe