If you've tried regular Zucchini fries before, you know how delicious they are. But these Spicy Baked Zucchini Fries are a whole lot yummier! It's like stepping up your game two steps forward. They are absolutely delicious and literally just melt in your mouth. They can be served as an appetizer, as a side dish, as a snack, you name it. Enjoy them whenever!
WHAT ARE SPICY BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES?
Well they are literally what they are called LOL. Zucchinis are cut the shape of potato fries, dipped into egg wash and breaded with a parmesan and panko crumb mixture.
WHAT IS A ZUCCHINI?
A lot of people don't know what Zucchini is. There are different kinds of zucchinis but the mostly known and used are the regular green zucchinis you find at the grocery stores. Zucchini is widely known as a vegetable but it is actually comes from a family of fruits. I know, it sounds weird but even I didn't know that for a really long time. A Zucchini is a summer squash that it harvested young before it matures. Zucchini's flavor is very mild, some people feel like is a has a slight bitter taste to it, but I believe it all depends on how it's cooked. I have never felt that slight bitter flavor before.
Zucchinis are a great source of many vitamins and minerals. Zucchinis have a great amount of vitamin A, which studies have shown to be amazing for the immune system and vision. The vitamin A in them are less when eaten raw, so be sure to cook it to get more benefits out of them.
HOW CAN YOU COOK ZUCCHINI?
Zucchini can be cooked in so many way and used for some many things. Some people enjoy them grilled, some love having them sautéed, baked, the options are endless. They are used as a filling veggies in stir-fry, soups, as a side dish, in replacement of fries, mostly as a low carb option veggie to make meals more filling. Many people also use Zucchinis in desserts and baking recipes. There are endless ways you can incorporate Zucchini into your diet.
HOW TO MAKE THE SPICY BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES
When choosing the zucchinis, make sure you are getting the less bulky ones, and try to get all the zucchinis the same size and shape or thickness. This makes your the slicing and baking a lot more efficient.
Start by cutting the tip on both ends of the zucchini. Then cut the zucchini in the middle as showing in the photo. I then cut the half into another half, and cut the zucchini into stick that are about 2 inches tall and just about a finger size thick.
To prepare the rest of the ingredients, use different bowls or plates to have the dipping ingredients ready. This makes things go faster and easier. In the picture, I have shown the egg wash, the oats flour, the zucchini sticks and the spicy panko parmesan mix.
You will start off by dipping the zucchini stick into the flour, then eggs and then finally into the panko mixture. Be sure to coat well but do not over do it or press too hard or else the coating will start flaking off.
Lay the breaded zucchini stick onto a sheet pan lined with parchement paper. Repeat the steps for the remainder of the zucchini sticks.
Spray the zucchini sticks generously with avocado or olive oil if you don't have avocado oil and bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the outer crust is golden brown in color.
Remove from the oven and let them cool a couple of minutes and then transfer them over to a dish for serving. Garnish with some grated parmesan cheese and some chopped parsley. You can enjoy these delicious zucchini fries with ranch or any dressing of your choice.
If you try this Spicy Baked Zucchini Fries and love it, please leave a rating on my recipe card below. You can use my hashtag #cookinwithmima or tag me on your story to share it with me on INSTAGRAM so I see your delicious recreations! I am also at Cookin With Mima on all my social channels, FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST so be sure to follow me there for my latest social posts and recipes.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
- Avocado Egg Rolls
- Lebanese Cheese Rolls
- Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls
- Crispy Baked Potato Skins
- Oven Baked Brussel Sproutss
Spicy Baked Zucchini Fries
- 4 large Zucchinis cut into finger sized sticks
- 1/2 cup oats flour
- 2 whole eggs
- Avocado or Olive Oil Spray
Panko Crumbs Mixture
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayene pepper (can reduce the amount if you have kids)
- 1/2 tsp fine black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place a parchment paper on a sheet pan (half sheet size) and have that ready.
- Cut the zucchinis into finger sized sticks and place in a bowl.
- In 3 other bowls, whisk the eggs in one, place the flour in the second and the panko mixture in the third.
- Dip a piece of zucchini stick into the flour, then the egg wash and then the panko crumb mix to coat well.
- Place the coated zucchini sticks on the sheet pan leaving about half an inch of space between each one. Repeat to finish the rest of the zucchini sticks.
- Spray the zucchini fries with avocado or olive oil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are golden/light brown in color.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite dip.