These Crispy Baked Potato Skins are super delish and make a perfect appetizer dish! They are twice baked, crispy, and loaded with cheddar cheese, sour cream and topped with turkey bacon and chives! You can serve alongside other appetizers or some sort of a protein dish to your liking.
Baked Potato Skins are a delicious classic and these babies are twice baked , loaded with goodies, such cheese, chives and turkey bacon! They're an awesome appetizer, side or game day snack!
Why you'll love these Crispy Baked Potato Skins
- Twice baked. SUPER crispy skin on the outside and crispy tinged on the inside, utterly crunch-tastic!
- Loaded with delicious toppings. Cheese, turkey bacon, chives and sour cream, utterly satisfying. You can customize with your favorite toppings.
- Easy. Simple to prep with only a handful of pantry staples needed!
Ingredients you'll need
- Small/Medium Potatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Turkey Bacon
- Olive Oil
How to make these Crispy Baked Potato Skins
- Prep your potatoes. Wash the potatoes very well. Cut them in two halves and use a melon scoop to core the inside.
- Bake. Drizzle the potatoes in olive oil, place on a baking tray and bake for 15 mins.
- Add cheese. Fill with some shredded cheddar cheese and bake for another 5-7 minutes, until the cheese completely melts.
- Add toppings. Remove from the oven and give the potatoes a minute to cool down. Then add the toppings.
Recipe notes and tips
- Core your potatoes just enough, you do not want to over core the potatoes and leave it too thin.
- You can use the extra potatoes you cored out for mashed potatoes or potato soup!
- Make sure to use a preheated oven.
- Use just enough oil to coat the skins, but don’t drench them, otherwise they won't crisp up. You should be able to see the oil on the potatoes but no pools of oil anywhere.
- If the potato bottoms are round and wont sit straight, you can slice a thin cut on their bottoms to make them flat.
- Give the potatoes a minute to cool down before adding the toppings.
What's the best potatoes for potato skins?
Potato skins are super easy to make. You can use a potato of your choice. I prefer using either golden potatoes or russet potatoes. If you want to use sweet potatoes instead that it fine too. I bake them without the cheese and then bake them another time with cheese making them extra crispy.
What are the best topping for these Baked Potato Skins?
When it comes to toppings, you can add just about anything your heart desires. Here are some of my favorite things to serve with the potato skins:
- Sour Cream
- Turkey Bacon
- Ground Taco Seasoned Beef or Chicken
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Avocadoes
- Pulled Buffalo Chicken
You can get super creative with the potato skins just like you would make a loaded nachos. Just to give you an idea: After baking the potatoes with the cheese for example you could make a potato skin taco by adding ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning. Add diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, diced onions and sour cream to complete it.
With the pulled buffalo chicken, you can make coleslaw on the side and top the potato skins with coleslaw and pulled buffalo chicken. Just think of it as your base. You can also top it with broccoli and cheese along sour cream and chives like you would serve a loaded baked potato. The options are endless so I hope you have fun with it!
Can I make these Baked Potato Skins ahead of time?
Yes indeed! Simply cut, core and bake the potato. Freeze the empty shells on a baking pan. Once frozen, stack them in a freezer bag. They will keep for several months in the freezer. You can then bake them from frozen, no need to defrost first.
Other delicious appetizers
- Stuffed Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls
- Crunchy Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Spicy Baked Zucchini Fries
- Feta Bruschetta
I hope you enjoy all the recipes I share with you, including this delicious Crispy Baked Potato Skins recipe. I hope you try it, enjoy it, rate it and share it with your friends and family!
If you try this recipe and like it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
Crispy Baked Potato Skins
- 6 medium/small Potatoes Golden or Russet
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese Shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream optional
- 1 tbsp. chives fresh or dried
- 2 strips turkey bacon optional
- 3 tbsps. olive oil
- Wash the potatoes very well. Cut them in two halves and use a melon scooper to core the inside.
- Core just enough, you do not want to over core the potatoes and leave it too thin.
- Rinse and pat dry the potato skins with kitchen or paper towel. Set them on a sheet pan. If their bottoms are round and wont sit straight, you can slice a thin cut on their bottoms to make it flat.
- Drizzle with some olive oil on both the inside and outside of the potatoes. Add a dash of salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, then flip over the potatoes to bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Once the baking part is done, remove the potatoes from the oven and flip them over, with the cored side up. Fill with some shredded cheddar cheese and bake for another 5-7 minutes, until the cheese completely melts.
- Remove from the oven and give the potatoes a minute to cool down. Then add the toppings.