This Oven Baked Brussel Sprouts recipe is very simple and delicious. If you are not a fan of Brussel Sprouts, you need to rethink it through after trying this recipe because it has the perfect blend of spices, making this mini cabbage looking veggie not so boring after all!
I was always skeptical about trying Brussels Sprouts when I was younger because I tried it once and it tasted bitter. When I started cooking my own recipes after I got married, I thought I would give it a try because I would see so many delicious recipes online. It was a whole different experience. I also tried it raw at some point too and discovered it really tasted like normal gabbage. Since then I made many salad recipes that called for cabbage with Brussel sprouts when I had it on hand. My kids never know the difference.
OVEN BAKED BRUSSEL SROUTS
HOW TO MAKE THE OVEN BAKED BRUSSEL SPROUTS RECIPE
I did not go all crazy with this recipe because the goal is to make a simple yet delicious side dish. I did not grate any cheese, nor did I mince any garlic or any extra steps to add time to the prepping of this dish.
I highly recommend that you wash the sprouts very well and peel a couple leaves from the outside before you prepare them. I know some bags say pre-washed and everything on it, but almost 80% of the time you will find dirt or weird things underneath the first couple of leaves.
So that's what I did before trimming the stem and slicing them in half. After cutting them in half, place them on a sheet pan and drizzle/spray some olive or avocado oil. The reason I do that at the very first step is because I want the spices to stick on to the pieces better.
The next step is spicing them. I use my most favorite, super simple spices that are always in my drawer: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. They make a perfect blend and very simple for kids to eats.
Pop the sheet pan in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, tossing the sprouts half way through. Remove and serve! The sprouts will last for a couple of days in the fridge in an airtight container if you would like to use them for meal-prep.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH THE OVEN BAKED BRUSSEL SROUTS
You can sevrve with many proteins including chicken, shrimp, meats, turkey, fish and anything you can think off. You can also chop and serve in as a salad dish instead of cooking them. You can prepare them with cubes of sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini and other veggies together in a sheet pan all together. The options are countless, and the creativity is yours!
HOW TO COOK BRUSSEL SPROUTS
- Sauté: Prepare and sauté with olive oil in a skillet for 8-10 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Bake: Prepare and place in a baking dish or sheet pan and bake in a 400 degree pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Steam: You can place in a steamer for 6-8 minutes and then season afterwards.
- Grilled: Prepare and grill for 5 minutes on each side.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BRUSSEL SPROUTS
It got it's name from Brussels, Belgium ( for it's popularity there) and over 70 million lbs. are produced in the U.S alone yearly. So that's enough to let you know these tiny buds come with great benefits.
Brussel Sprouts contain cancer-fighting chemicals, they are rich in vitamin A and C, high in fiber, folic acid and they are also low in calories and carbs. They are from the same family as cabbage and broccoli so they make you full much faster.
If you try this Oven Baked Brussel Sprouts recipe and like it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! Follow me at Cookin' With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES:
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Easy mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mushrooms
- Homemade Mashed Potatoes
Oven Baked Brussel Sprouts
- 2 lbs. Brussel sprouts cleaned and trimmed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- avocado or olive oil spray
- Clean and trim the sprouts.
- Spray with olive or avocado oil.
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl and season the sprouts
- Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- In the U.S, brussels sprouts are in season from September through March, although you can find them year-round.
- Ideally choose sprouts that are roughly the same size, this means they’ll be done around the same time.
- Ready brussels sprouts should feel firm when gently squeezed.
- Smaller sprouts will taste sweeter.
- I highly recommend that you wash the sprouts very well and peel a couple leaves from the outside before you prepare them. I know some bags say pre-washed and everything on it, but almost 80% of the time you will find dirt or weird things underneath the first couple of leaves!
- Use a preheated oven.
- Leave the sprouts alone! You don't have to worry about turning the sprouts over while cooking. If you roast flat side down, the moisture in the sprouts will cook the centers to tender perfection!
- Spray the oil onto the sprouts before seasoning, this allows the spices to stick.
- I use my most favorite, super simple spices that are always in my drawer: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. They make a perfect blend and very simple for kids to eats.
- Roast the sprouts until th