This super easy Lebanese Spicy Potatoes (Batata Harra, بطاطا حارة) recipe is one of the easiest and most delicious Lebanese appetizer you will ever make. It’s made with one main ingredient, which is potatoes, along with some fresh garlic, cilantro and hot peppers. It can be ready on your plate from start to finish in less than half an hour. If there is ever a choice of Batata Harra on a restaurant menu, I automatically ditch the French fries for it.
WHAT IS LEBANESE SPICY POTATOES (BATATA HARRA, بطاطا حارة)?
Lebanese Spicy Potatoes (Batata Harra, بطاطا حارة ) is one of the most popular appetizer dish in the Middle East. If you haven’t tried it yet, you are missing out. It’s one of the most flavorful potato dish you will ever have. Some people prepare this dish with spicy peppers and some prepare it without, based on their preference even though the name of this dish means “spicy potatoes”. Even though Batata Harra is an appetizer dish, it can be served as a side dish at anytime time.
This dish is also Gluten Free and Vegetarian. The Lebanese Spicy Potatoes (Batata Harra, بطاطا حارة ) recipe is also known to be very budget friendly since it only requires one main ingredient, which is the potatoes. The rest is all herbs that are added to it. Some people like to eat this recipe warm and some would eat it cold right out of the fridge. It will last in the fridge for a couple of days and can be rewarmed or eaten cold. I personally do not eat cold potatoes. I very much enjoy this dish warm.
HOW TO MAKE THE LEBANESE SPICY POTATOES (BATATA HARRA, بطاطا حارة )?
Most people will prepare this dish by double frying the potatoes because it is first fried and then refried/sautéed with the garlic and herbs. Some people like to make the Batata Harra healthier by baking everything together in the oven in one dish. Others would boil the potatoes half way, then cube them and then sauté them in a skillet with some olive oil and the herbs. It can be easily made healthier if you don’t like fried foods. But I personally like to fry them and cook it the original way.
Cube the potatoes (I prefer using sweeter kinds of potatoes like golden potatoes), chop the cilantro, peppers and garlic. You will need lots of garlic and cilantro. It’s what makes this dish extra delicious. Another ingredients you can add is fresh red bell peppers or jarred pimentos to give it an extra delicious flavor. Pimentos are not spicy so if you have kids and want a non-spicy version, you can easily omit the spicy peppers and use the pimentos or red bell pepper.
Once you fry the potatoes, you will start the next step. In a skillet, sauté the garlic, cilantro, pimentos and hot pepper with some olive oil for 1 minute. A tablespoon is usually enough since the potatoes will have some oil from the frying. Add the lemon juice and salt and give it a mix. Add the potatoes to the mixture and sauté everything together for 3-4 minutes on low heat to allow the potatoes to absorb all the delicious flavors from the herb mixture. Remove from heat and serve.
If you would like the potatoes to be crunchy, you can fry them half way through and set them on a paper towel hours before preparing (which is great because it cuts down cook time when you are ready to prepare the dish) and then refry them until they are fully cooked right before you sauté them with the garlic and herbs. It helps during Ramadan because you can easily finish the dish later within minutes because the main cooking part has been completed earlier.
Whether you prepare this Lebanese Spicy Potatoes (Batata Harra, بطاطا حارة ) recipe by frying it or baking in the oven, I am sure you will not go wrong either way. You can enjoy this dish as an appetizer or even a side dish with many meals. It’s simple and delicious. Be sure to tag me on INSTAGRAM so I can see your delicious recreations. Make it, Rate it and Share it! Ramadan Mubarak to everyone who is fasting this month. Xoxo…
OTHER RECIPE YOU MAY LIKE:
This super easy Lebanese Spicy Potatoes (Batata Harra, بطاطا حارة) recipe is one of the easiest and most delicious Lebanese dishes you will ever make. It’s made with one main ingredient, which is potatoes, along with some fresh garlic, cilantro and hot peppers. It can be ready on your plate from start to finish in less than half an house.
- 2 lbs golden potatoes, cubed into smaller pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 of canned/jarred pimentos, (can substitute with red bell pepper)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4–6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. hot pepper, chopped
- Vegetable or Canola oil for frying
- Prepare all ingredients: Peel and cube potatoes, mince garlic, chop the cilantro, hot peppers and red bell pepper or pimentos.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer and fry the potatoes until they start to show a golden color. You may have to fry two batches if you have a smaller fryer or pan. Do not over crowd the frying pan. That will result in getting mashed or broken potatoes instead of crunchy potato pieces.
- Before the potatoes are ready, sauté the garlic, cilantro, pimentos and hot peppers in a frying pan with 1 tbsp. of olive oil for about a minute only. Do not burn. Add in the salt and lemon juice and stir the mixture to blend well.
- Once potatoes are ready, add them on top of the mixture and toss everything together to coat the potatoes. Do not over mix so you don’t end up with mashed potatoes. Cook on low for 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are well absorbed with the herb mixture.
- Remove and serve while hot/warn.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 407.5mg
- Fat: 20.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 27.5g
- Protein: 5.4g
Keywords: Lebanese Spicy Potatoes (Batata Harra, بطاطا حارة)