Brown Butter Blondies are a perfect dessert bar. Add in M&M’s and you have an elevated experience that brings together both a sophisticated dessert and a childhood treat. What more could you ask for in this delicious dessert bar recipe?
HOW TO MAKE BROWN BUTTER BLONDIES WITH M&M’S
When I say this is an easy recipe, I am not joking. Just a few ingredients, a few minutes tending a saucepan, and you have an absolutely amazing blondie batter to pour into your favorite baking pan and cook.
I always start by gathering my supplies and measuring out ingredients ahead of time. When working with dry ingredients like flour, I like to sift them together to avoid lumps. To me, that’s especially important for this blondie recipe. It’s just too good to ruin with lumps of flour not mixed well!
Once you have everything ready, including preheating your oven and spraying your baking dish, you will begin melting the butter. A medium saucepan on medium-high heat is perfect for melting then browning your butter. This takes around 10 minutes and should be watched carefully. You do not want to forget it and allow your butter to burn!
Once the butter has melted, you will remove the pan from heat and mix in your sugar, then your egg. Next fold in your remaining dry ingredients. Lastly, you will gently fold in your M&M’s candy. The final step is to pour the brown butter blondies batter into your prepared pan and bake.
Note: I recommend allowing them to cool completely before cutting so you get nice even squares.
VARIATIONS OF BROWN BUTTER BLONDIES
If you want to get creative in the kitchen, this blondie recipe is super easy to adapt. I love using a basic recipe like this and customizing it to fit my tastes or even a special event. There are so many fun ways to update them to something new while keeping the basic flavor the same.
- Use different colored seasonal M&M’s to turn it into a holiday treat
- Add buttercream icing to the top before serving
- Bake in a cookie sheet so they are thinner. Add frosting between them to make a blondie sandwich
- Replace the M&M’s with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or white chocolate chips
- Mix chopped walnuts or pecans into the batter
MORE DESSERT BARSPrint
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Continue to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until brown and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in sugar to combine. Add egg and whisk to combine. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in M&Ms.
- Add batter to baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
- Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan and cutting.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 10.7g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 43mg