Easy baked chocolate oatmeal is the perfect way to start your morning. Loaded with a double dose of chocolate, peanut butter and bananas–-eggless baked oats are loaded with protein and can be made vegan and gluten free. This simple recipe comes together quickly, bakes in about 35 minutes and keeps well, so it’s an ideal make ahead baked oatmeal breakfast.
If you like the idea of eating a chocolate cake for breakfast, you will love this healthier chocolate baked oats recipe. The blend of chocolate and heart-healthy oatmeal creates a winning combination that will have you excited about eating breakfast.
If you love chocolate for breakfast, try my Peanut Banana Baked Oatmeal, Chocolate Overnight Oats or Chocolate Chia Protein Pudding.
Why You’ll Love This Baked Oatmeal Breakfast
- It’s simple. Use pantry staples to mix this simple eggless baked oat recipe and bake it to perfection in under 40 minutes.
- It’s the perfect flavor combination. Chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven, and the addition of maple syrup and bananas make it simply decadent.
- It’s healthy. Oatmeal is excellent for the heart, and this recipe contains no refined sugar.
Chocolate Baked Oats Ingredients
- Oatmeal: a combination of rolled old fashioned oats and quick oats give this recipe a delicious texture.
- Milk: use regular milk, almond milk or other non-dairy milk as desired.
- Sweeteners: real maple syrup, creamy peanut butter, and ripe bananas add sweetness to the recipe without using refined sugar. You can substitute other nut and seed butter.
- Vanilla Extract: use vanilla to enhance other flavors in the recipe.
- Baking Powder: fresh baking powder is essential to give the baked oatmeal lift.
- Cocoa Powder: use Dutch cocoa or any cocoa powder to add a chocolate flavor to the batter.
- Chocolate Chips: select your favorite brand of chocolate chips. Use milk chocolate, semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
- Salt: to bring out the natural flavors of all the other ingredients.
- Flax Meal: this optional ingredient can thicken and stabilize the batter. It replaces the egg and also adds a nutty flavor.
How To Make Baked Chocolate Oatmeal
- Prepare the equipment. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a baking dish with oil spray.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a bowl, mash up the bananas. Then add in all the wet ingredients: milk, melted peanut butter, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, you can mix all the dry ingredients: rolled oats, quick oats, cocoa powder, flax meal, salt, and baking powder.
- Make the batter. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Fold in the chocolate chips. You can top with chocolate chips if you like.
- Bake the oatmeal. Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Garnish and Serve. Once cooked, allow the oats to cool for a few minutes if you like to eat it warm or serve when completely cooked down. Top with fresh fruits if desired.
Tips To Make Chocolate Baked Oats
- Use both rolled oats and quick oats for the best texture.
- Use chocolate chips or chunks of chocolate. You can even experiment with other flavors of baking chips.
- Boost the protein in this recipe by replacing the cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon to give an unexpected flavor.
- Top with additional chocolate before baking.
- Make ahead and reheat for a quick and simple breakfast.
- Let the baked oatmeal rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle melted peanut butter on top for a flavorful garnish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although not a low-calorie food this oatmeal is heart healthy and packed with 5 grams of fiber and 9 grams of protein. Plus, you get the benefits of the vitamins and minerals found in bananas.
If you use plant-based milk in this recipe, it will be vegan. You can also make this recipe gluten free by selecting gluten free oats.
This recipe does not require a blender. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and bake. The final dish will have a thicker texture than blender baked oats.
This baked oatmeal breakfast can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, perfect for a make-ahead option. You can reheat the baked oatmeal in the microwave for 30-60 seconds or serve it cold. You can also warm it in a 300 degrees F oven until warmed through.
After cooling completely, wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost the oatmeal overnight in the fridge and warm individual portions before serving.
More Oatmeal Recipes
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Chocolate Chip Banana Baked Oats
- Funfetti Baked Oats Cake
- How To Make Oat Milk
- Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
I hope you enjoy all the recipes I share with you, including this delicious Chocolate Baked Oats recipe. I hope you try it, enjoy it, rate it, and share it with your friends and family!
If you try this recipe and liked it, please leave a star rating and comment below. Use my hashtag to share it with me on Instagram so I can see your delicious recreations! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK |INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
Baked Chocolate Oatmeal
- 10. 5" X 7. 5" Baking Dish
- 1½ cup rolled old fashion oats
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1½ cup milk regular or almond
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsps creamy peanut butter melted
- 2 small bananas ripe
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp Dutch cocoa or any cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips any kind
- ⅛ tsp salt a pinch
- 2 tsps flax meal optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a bowl, mash up the bananas. Then add in all the wet ingredients: milk, melted peanut butter, vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- In another bowl, you can mix all the dry ingredients: rolled oats, quick oats, cocoa powder, flax meal, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray the baking dish with oil spray and then add in the oats mixture. You can top with chocolate chips if you like.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Once cooked, allow the oats to cool for a few minutes if you like to eat it warm or serve when completely cooked down. Top with fresh fruits if desired.
Leave A Reply & Rate Recipe