This Thai Red Curry Chicken recipe is one of my favorite Thai recipes! It’s so flavorful, so fragrant and yet so easy to make. This meal is actually one of the most popular curry meals around the world. It’s a great dish to make over the weekend instead of take out for your family.
HOW TO COOK THAI RED CURRY CHICKEN
This recipe is super simple and similar to many Indian curry recipes but slightly different in flavor. I like starting by sautéing some finely diced onions until they are caramelized. Add in the diced chicken and sauté together until the chicken is 3/4 of the way cooked and obtains a nice golden color. Transfer the chicken into a bowl and set aside.
To prepare the Thai Red Curry sauce, caramelize the second half of the onion and add in the minced garlic. Sauté them for another 30 seconds or so and then add in the grated ginger, shallots, lime juice, black pepper, salt and Thai red curry paste. Mix to incorporate well and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add in 3/4 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup of water and mix together. Simmer for 2-3 minutes on low to allow the flavors to infuse together. If you don’t have coconut milk, you can use 1/2 cup of heavy cream, but the flavor will differ a bit. A healthy option would be to use coconut milk instead.
Add in the chicken and cilantro. Mix everything together well and continue to cook on low for another 3-4 minutes. If you would like to make this dish more spicy, you can add in some diced or sliced serrano peppers at the same time you add the chicken and cilantro.
Once that is done, you can garnish the dish with some sliced serrano peppers and serve it with a side of white rice and vegetables of your choice. You can also cook these vegetables ahead and throw them into the dish towards the end and cook them with the chicken for a few minutes.
Some people also like to sauté some red peppers and add to this dish. It’s all a matter of preference. If you are a fan of peanuts as well, toss in some toasted peanuts for garnishing purposes when serving.
If you try this Thai Red Curry Chicken recipe and like it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! Follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Thai Red Curry Chicken
- 2 lbs. Chicken tenders or breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion petite diced and split into two
- 3 tbsps. vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry past
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 1/4 cup shallots sliced
- 2 Tbps. cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsps. lime juice fresh
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Dice the onions, slice shallots, grate the ginger, chop the cilantro and mince the garlic.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsps. of vegetable oil. Caramelize half the onion and then add in the chicken. Cook the chicken until they are cooked through 3/4 of the way. Set the chicken aside in a bowl.
- Add in the rest of the oil (1 tbsp.) into the pan and caramalize the remainder of the onions. Add in the garlic and saute another 30 seconds. Add in the ginger, lime juice, shallots, black pepper, salt, Thai red curry paste and mix well to cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the coconut milk, water, and stir well . Let them simmer for 2-3 minutes on low.
- Add in the chicken cubes and cilantro to cook together with the sauce for another 3-4 minutes on low.
- Remove the dish from the stove, garnish with some fresh cilantro and sliced serrano peppers. Serve with cooked rice and veggies of your choice.