Are you craving a delicious and nutritious meal that’s both satisfying and easy to make? Look no further than our Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers recipe! This dish combines the savory goodness of bell peppers with a mouthwatering filling, all cooked to perfection in the air fryer.
Stuffed Air Fryer Bell Peppers are bursting with vibrant Mexican flavors and delight the senses. Each bite unveils a symphony of tastes and textures. Juicy tri-color bell peppers are filled with succulent ground turkey infused with aromatic spices like garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, green chiles and rich red enchilada sauce. The filling is then enhanced with fluffy cooked rice, hearty black beans, and sweet bursts of corn, resulting in a filling that is as comforting as it is flavorful. Colby jack cheese tops the peppers, melting to perfection in air fryer, adding a creamy and irresistible finishing touch. These Taco Stuffed Peppers in the Air Fryer will leave everyone asking for seconds.
Why You’ll Love This Mexican Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- It’s bursting with flavor. These Stuffed Air Fryer Bell Peppers offer an explosion of flavors, from the aromatic spices to the tender meat and veggies that add layers of texture and depth to the dish, ensuring each bite is delightful.
- It’s easy to cook. With the help of the air fryer, this recipe is a breeze to prepare. The air fryer yields perfectly cooked bell peppers and eliminates the need for excessive oil, making this a healthier alternative to traditional stuffed peppers.
- It’s customizable and versatile. This incredibly versatile recipe allows you to customize it to your taste preferences. You can easily adjust the spice levels, swap out ingredients, or add your favorite toppings to make it your own.
Stuffed Peppers Ingredients
- Tri-color Bell Peppers: You can substitute them with any color bell peppers you prefer.
- Olive Oil: You can substitute it with any light cooking oil of your choice.
- Yellow Onion: Diced and sautéed to bring a savory and aromatic base to the stuffing. You can substitute it with white onion or shallots if desired.
- Ground Turkey: Provides a lean and protein-packed component to the filling. Ground chicken or beef can be used as alternatives.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper add savory and aromatic notes to the filling. Substitute with fresh garlic and your favorite seasonings.
- Diced Green Chiles: Adds a tangy and slightly spicy kick to the stuffing. If unavailable, you can use finely chopped jalapeños or omit them for a milder version.
- Red Enchilada Sauce: You can make homemade enchilada sauce or use a store-bought version.
- Rice: Adds a fluffy and hearty element to the stuffing. Feel free to substitute white or brown rice or even quinoa.
- Black Beans: Provides a satisfying and protein-rich addition to the filling. Kidney beans or pinto beans can be used as alternatives.
- Frozen Corn: Adds a touch of sweetness and texture. Fresh or canned corn can be used instead.
- Shredded Cheese: Colby Jack melts beautifully and adds a creamy and cheesy topping. Substitute with cheddar, Monterey Jack, or any other preferred melting cheese.
- Parsley: Used as a garnish, fresh parsley brings freshness and a pop of green color. You can substitute it with cilantro if desired.
How To Make Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
- Prepare the peppers. Slice the bell peppers vertically into halves and remove the core and seeds inside and set it aside.
- Prepare the filling. Heat a large skillet over medium flame. Add oil, followed by onion. Cook the onions until they turn translucent. Add the ground turkey and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the spices; garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, green chilies, and enchilada sauce. Allow the mixture to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add the cooked rice, black beans, and corn, and cook for a minute until everything comes together.
- Stuff the peppers. Fill the bell peppers with the turkey mixture and arrange them on the air fryer basket.
- Cook the peppers. Air fry the stuffed pepper at 360 degrees F on a preheated air fryer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the air fryer basket and top the bell peppers with the cheese. Place the air fryer basket again and cook for 2-4 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Garnish and serve. Once done, transfer the stuffed bell peppers to a serving platter and garnish with parsley and serve.
Tips To Make this Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
- Choose the Right Peppers: Choose bell peppers that are firm, evenly-sized and can stand upright in the air fryer without toppling over. This insures even cooking.
- Precook the Meat: Brown the ground turkey or meat substitute before mixing it with the other filling ingredients to ensure it’s cooked through during air frying.
- Customize the Filling: Get creative with the filling! Add ingredients like diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, or cheese to suit your taste.
- Sprinkle with Cheese: If desired, top the stuffed peppers with grated cheese before air frying for a cheesy, golden crust.
- Stuff accordingly: Don’t overstuff the peppers and leave a little room at the top for the cheese.
- Allow to cool: After removing the stuffed peppers from the air fryer, allow them to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish: Sprinkle chopped parsley or cilantro on top for a fresh and vibrant touch.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can easily substitute ground turkey with ground chicken, beef, or vegetarian alternatives like use a plant-based meat substitute, tofu, and use vegan cheese for topping.
Prepare the ground turkey filling mixture up to 24 hours ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to cook, simply stuff the peppers and follow the air frying instructions.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake the stuffed peppers in a 375 degrees F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat the peppers in the air fryer for a few minutes until warmed through. You can also use the microwave.
While it’s possible to freeze the assembled but uncooked stuffed peppers, it’s recommended to freeze the stuffing mixture separately because the peppers tend to get mushy when thawed. Thaw the stuffing mixture before stuffing fresh peppers and air frying them. This helps maintain the texture and taste of the peppers.
More Stuffed Recipes
- Stuffed Chicken Marsala
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken
- Cajun Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Baked Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
This recipe is a fantastic way to enjoy a nutritious and flavorful meal without sacrificing any taste. With a perfect blend of protein, veggies, and herbs, these Mexican inspired stuffed peppers will become a family favorite. I hope you enjoy all the recipes I share with you, including this delicious Stuffed Air Fryer Bell Peppers recipe. I hope you try it, enjoy it, rate it, and share it with your friends and family!
If you try this recipe and liked it, please leave a star rating and comment below. Use my hashtag to share it with me on Instagram so I can see your delicious recreations! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK |INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
Stuffed Air Fryer Bell Peppers
- 3 medium tri-color bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Slice the bell peppers vertically into halves and remove the core and seeds inside and set it aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium flame. Add oil, followed by onion. Cook the onions until they turn translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the spices; garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, green chilies, and enchilada sauce. Allow the mixture to simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, black beans, and corn, and cook for a minute until everything comes together.
- Fill the bell peppers with the turkey mixture and arrange them on the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the stuffed pepper at 360 degrees F on a preheated air fryer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the air fryer basket and top the bell peppers with the cheese. Place the air fryer basket again and cook for 2-4 minutes until the cheese has completely melted.
- Once done, transfer the stuffed bell peppers to a serving platter and garnish with parsley and serve
- Choose bell peppers that are firm, vibrant in color, and free from blemishes. This ensures that they hold their shape and texture during the cooking process.
- Preheat the air fryer to ensure even cooking and a crispy exterior.
- Be sure to cook the ground turkey thoroughly.
- If you prefer a milder or spicier flavor, feel free to adjust the amount of chili powder or other spices according to your taste preferences.
- Don’t overstuff the peppers and leave a little room at the top for the cheese.
- Add the cheese to the stuffed peppers during the last few minutes of cooking.
- After removing the stuffed peppers from the air fryer, allow them to rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley or cilantro on top for a fresh and vibrant touch.