This delicious and easy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a simple and hearty soup is perfect for when you are feeling under the weather, cold, or just craving a warm comfy bowl of soup. It is made with very simple ingredients and one of the most beneficial soups you can ever eat and the best part is you can make it in less than 45 minutes!
I love making chicken noodle soup because it's made from scratch with fresh ingredients. I don't remember ever eating canned chicken noodle soup. I stay away from all kinds of canned soups in general. I understand some people are busy, but most soups take just 30 minutes and you can literally toss everything and let them boil on low heat without making any effort. So to me it's not work eating or feeding my family canned soups that are back with preservatives. Don't you agree? 🙂
HOW TO MAKE LEMON CHICKEN ORZO SOUP
Like many other soups, making this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is very straight forward. If you are making your chicken soup using store bought chicken broth, which I did here, you can go ahead right away and start cutting the veggies into small diced pieces.
Vegetable I used for this soup:
Herbs I used:
I also used lemon to make the soup a little citrusy. If you like a bold lemon flavor, you can add some lemon zest to the soup.
If you prefer using home made chicken broth, You may want to start with that before moving to the next step.
HOW TO MAKE HOME MADE CHICKEN BROTH
To make homemade chicken broth, you will need to boil the chicken in a separate pot with some veggies to make the broth flavorful and fragrant. You can use onion wedges, some celery sticks, a couple of bay leaves, a small piece of fresh ginger, and 1/4 of a lemon wedge along with the amount of chicken you are using. Boil everything together with 8-10 cups of water or less depending on the amount of soup you are trying to make. Use less water if you are making a smaller batch or more water if you are making a bigger batch. Let them simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove any froth that floats to the top when boiling. After the cook time is done, remove the chicken pieces and shred them in a bowl. Strain the broth. Set both the chicken and broth aside.
The next step, I like to sauté the veggies and the garlic a little with some olive oil until tender. You can totally opt out and just boil everything together with the chicken stock.
Once the veggies become a little tender, add in the chicken broth, salt, ginger and black pepper. Cover and allow the soup to cook for 30 minutes on medium heat. Half way through, add in the shredded chicken. In this recipe, I used leftover rotisserie chicken.
Add in the orzo and parsley, give the soup a little stir and cover to cook for another 10 minutes. If you would like to thicken up your soup, you mix 1-2 tsps. of corn starch with a tablespoon of water in a small cup and pour it over towards the last 5 minutes of cooking while stirring, along with the lemon juice. As the soup sits, the orzo will suck up more of the water so you don't have to worry about drying the broth too much.
Serve this delicious soup in a bowl with some lemon wedges and top with chopped parsley for garnishing. The garnishing is completely optional. I also love adding hot sauce into my soup. Super delicious!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT LEMON CHICKEN ORZO SOUP
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast to make the orzo soup?
- Yes, you san substitute chicken bread for chicken thighs or use both.
Can I use homemade chicken broth?
- Absolutely. My blog post covers the way I make chicken broth at home or you can always find more ways to do that on Pinterest or YouTube.
What is Orzo?
- Orzo is a type of pasta shaped like the shape of rice, and it is made with semolina flour, which is made from durum wheat.
Is Orzo Gluten Free?
- No, Orzo is not gluten free.
What is Orzo used for?
- It is used with many recipes such as salads, soups or cooked in recipes that you would use in place of rice.
Can you freeze a recipe with Orzo?
- You can but as any other pasta, the Orzo will become soft and mushy. I do not recommend freezing it.
Can I use something else other than Orzo to make the Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup?
- Absolutely, you can use any type of smaller pastas like vermicelli, mini elbow, mini alphabet pasta, mini shell pasta or substitute with rice.
How long can I keep the Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup in my fridge?
- It keeps for 3-4 days, but I recommend eating it the next day if you have any leftovers because the texture of the Orzo will start becoming mushier as the days pass.
This soups is light, healthy and uses wholesome ingredients. It's a family favorite and comes with many benefits. Whether you are eating it to feel better or just to keep warm on a cozy cold day, I am sure your family will enjoy it.
If you try this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup and love it, please leave a rating on my recipe card. You can also use my hashtag or tag me on your story to share it with me on INSTAGRAM so I see your delicious recreations! You can also follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on all my social channels, FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST for my latest social posts and recipes.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE:
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 1 lb shredded rotisserie chicken Substitute for 1 lb Chicken tenders or boneless thights (see blog post)
- 1 medium onion petite diced
- 2 large celery Stalks diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock low sodium
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp black pepper fresh cracked
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger freshly grated or powder
- 2 tsp. corn starch plus 1 tbsp water to mix.
- Dice the veggies and mince the garlic.Transfer them to a pot. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and then sauté until tender.
- Add in the chicken broth, salt, ginger and black pepper. Cover and allow to cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the cooked chicken. Add in the shredded chicken after the 15 minutes is up. Let them cook together covered for another 15 minutes on medium-low heat.
- After the 15 minutes is up, add in the orzo pasta and parsley, stir and allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
- At this point you can add in the lemon juice and corn starch (mixed with 1 tbsp. of water). Allow to cook for 5 minutes and the soup is ready to serve!
- You can serve with some lemon wedges and crackers. Garnish with chopped parsley (optional)