This delicious Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta is super easy to prepare with simple ingredients that can typically be found at your home. The fresh creamy tomato sauce and flavorful chicken come together in one skillet making a meal to fill your whole family in under 30 minutes! This chicken pasta recipe is a perfect weeknight meal!
Pastas are my favorite types of meals. I absolutely love this Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta because it’s consistently a family favorite. This chicken pasta is a quick recipe to make, only taking 25 minutes, making it an easy weeknight meal. The best part, it keeps you full and your family will love it.
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO BASIL CHICKEN PASTA
To begin making the Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta, start by heating about 1 Tbsp of canola oil over medium-high heat in a skillet. Once it is hot, add 3 pods of minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Next, add 1 pound of chicken breast, cut into 1-2 in. strips, into the skillet and brown for 1 minute on each side. Season with salt and pepper, add the diced tomato and stir for about a minute.
When the chicken has browned, add 1c. heavy cream to the tomato and chicken in the pan. Bring the liquids to a simmer.
In a small bowl whisk together 2 Tbsp. flour and 3 Tbsp. water until there are no clumps left. Stir the flour-water mixture into the skillet along with 1/2 c. chicken broth. Simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes until the creamy sauce has thickened.
While you are making the creamy tomato basil sauce, in a large pot of boiling water, cook the fettuccine pasta according to the package directions, then drain and set aside.
Once your sauce has thickened, add a pinch of red pepper flakes, 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh basil, and the cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss until your pasta is coated in the sauce.
Serve your Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta immediately and garnish with extra fresh basil, red pepper flakes, and/or parmesan cheese.
VARIATIONS TO TOMATO BASIL CHICKEN PASTA
Another thing I love about this recipe is its versatility. First, if you don’t like chicken breasts, you can use shrimp or boneless chicken thighs. Also, you can make this Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta with whole grain pasta if you prefer. It doesn’t affect the flavor in any way!
If you try this Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta recipe and like it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
MORE PASTA DINNER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 lb fettuccine
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, saute garlic until fragrant.
- Add chicken strips and brown for 1 minute per side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to season. Add in diced tomatoes and stir to combine, cooking for about 1 minute.
- Once the chicken is browned, add in heavy cream and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine flour and water, whisking until no lumps remain. Add slurry and chicken broth to skillet and stir to combine. Simmer until thickened over low heat, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook fettuccine according to the instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Once the sauce is thickened, stir in basil and red pepper flakes. Add pasta to the skillet and toss to coat well.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of additional freshly chopped basil and parmesan cheese.