This creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Pasta with juicy chicken is an easy weeknight dinner your family is sure to love! In 30 minutes, you can make this chicken pasta recipe and once you have tried it, you will be left with an especially satisfied tummy!
You all know how much I love pasta recipes! This Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Pasta is such a great dinner recipe because it is packed with protein and flavor! I also love how this recipe can be ready in 30 minutes, giving me more time with my family and less time in the kitchen cooking.
HOW TO MAKE SUN-DRIED TOMATO PENNE PASTA
To begin making this Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Pasta, start by cubing your chicken into bite-sized pieces, about 1 inch thick. Then set the chicken aside.
In a small bowl mix together black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and then cayenne pepper. When you are ready, season the chicken with this seasoning mixture.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain, and then set the penne pasta aside.
Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and when the skillet is hot, add the chicken cubes and cook until browned and cooked through about 5-6 minutes.
Next, drain the sun-dried tomatoes. Once the tomatoes are drained, add them and 3 cloves of minced garlic to the skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
Afterward, add two cups of milk, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 cup of shredded parmesan cheese to the skillet. Then, reduce the heat and allow the liquid to simmer for about 10 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, in a small bowl whisk 1 Tbsp of corn starch with 2 Tbsp of milk. Once the sauce has been simmering for 10 minutes, add the corn starch slurry to the skillet and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Finally, stir in the pasta, top with chopped fresh basil and serve immediately.
TIPS FOR MAKING SUN-DRIED TOMATO PENNE PASTA
Here are a few things you can do to help get this chicken pasta recipe to your table in about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Star Boiling Your Water First
For one thing, you can put the water for the penne pasta on the stove to boil before starting anything else, this way you won’t be waiting for water to boil, literally.
Heat the Skillet While You Are Mixing the Spices
Another time-saving effort is to heat the skillet with oil while you are mixing together the spices, thus reducing the time you are waiting for things to heat up and getting your Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Pasta on the table sooner!
VARIATIONS TO SUN-DRIED TOMATO PENNE PASTA
To begin with, one variation you can make to the Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Pasta is you can use farfalle (bow-tie pasta), ziti, or rigatoni pasta in this recipe.
Similarly, you can swap the chicken with shrimp. Also, if you use shrimp, you will need to cook the shrimp until they are pink.
Once you make this creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Pasta recipe, share your re-creation on Instagram by tagging me @cookinwithmima and #cookinwithmima. Likewise, you can follow me on Pinterest so you never run out of delicious and easy dinner ideas, like this chicken pasta recipe. Xoxo…
RECIPES LIKE SUN-DRIED TOMATO PENNE PASTA YOU MIGHT ENJOY
If you loved this pasta dish, here are some more easy dinners you can make for your family.
- Creamy Shrimp Penne Pasta with Red Pepper Sauce
- Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Spaghetti
- Creamy Chicken and Tomato Pasta
Sun-dried Tomato Penne Pasta
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 7- oz jar sun-dried tomatoes drained
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups of milk 2 Tbsp separated out
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh basil
- In a small bowl, stir together black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Season chicken with the mixture of seasonings.
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 cups milk, broth and both cheeses. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch with remaining 2 Tbsp milk. Add slurry to the skillet and continue to cook until thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in drained pasta. Top with chopped fresh basil. Serve immediately.