Bang Bang Shrimp tacos are going to become a new favorite recipe in your routine. Make something different for Taco Tuesday. They are packed with flavor from the garlic chili sauce and sriracha sauce. Topped with a crunchy pineapple coleslaw, this is a surprising recipe that everyone will want again.
Taco nights have never been better! Sink your teeth into a crunchy crispy taco shell topped with shrimp, guacamole, and the perfect spicy sour cream sauce. This pairs well with my pineapple slaw recipe below, as well as any salad or rice side dish.
BANG BANG SHRIMP TACOS
Shrimp is one of my favorite proteins. So much so, that I have tons of recipes here on the site including shrimp. It’s versatile, healthy, cooks fast, and is just so tasty! The spice in bang bang sauce is perfect to pair with shrimp, and even better when loaded into a crispy shell and topped with creamy guacamole.
You may also love my Mexican Shrimp taco salad recipe as another light but delicious shrimp recipe. The spices in it are another great option you could top these crunchy taco shells with for a tasty taco night meal. Since we do taco night at least once per week, I love having different options to choose from. While classic beef tacos are a favorite, these shrimp ones are preferred by most of the family.
WHAT SHRIMP SHOULD I USE FOR THESE TACOS?
This recipe calls for around 50 shrimp. In this case, I find small shrimp to be the best as they are easy to find in stores, cook fast, and being bite-sized perfect in a taco shell. I also prefer to use gulf shrimp most often as I can typically find local US-sourced options.
CAN I ADJUST THE SPICE IN THE BANG BANG SAUCE?
If you enjoy a nice kick of spice but don’t like a ton of heat, you can easily adjust the sauce recipe for your preferences. Since this recipe contains a few levels of heat, it’s easy to adjust in different ways.
Sriracha and garlic chili sauce are the ways the heat is added to this bang bang shrimp. You can definitely use a bit less of either. Sriracha has a level of heat that is more in your face, but the garlic chili sauce really builds heat as you eat. Cut either one down, or just add more guacamole to your taco to lower the heat level.
INGREDIENTS FOR BANG BANG SHRIMP TACO RECIPE
- Coleslaw mix
- Red wine vinegar
- White sugar
- Black pepper
- Corn tortillas
- Canola oil
- Pico de gallo
- Lime wedges
Spicy sour cream:
- Sour cream
- Garlic chili sauce
- Lime juice
- Black pepper
HOW TO MAKE PINEAPPLE COLESLAW
What I love about these bang bang shrimp tacos is the coleslaw. Here’s how I made it.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for pineapple coleslaw and mix until well blended. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This can be made the night before. Before serving, toss to combine and distribute the dressing overall pieces of coleslaw.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY SOUR CREAM SAUCE
In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream sauce ingredients until blended. Taste for heat level, and adjust if desired. Set aside in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. This sauce is good in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
HOW TO MAKE BANG BANG SHRIMP TACOS
Start by heating oil in a small skillet to fry corn tortillas until crispy. Once they begin to crisp, lay them on paper towels or paper to drain until ready to build the taco and serve. You can also use ready-made taco shells or tostada shells.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs until well mixed. Heat the remaining oil in a separate skillet, and then dip each shrimp into the eggs before dredging in flour. Fry until cooked through and golden brown.
Allow shrimp to drain on paper towels or paper until ready to serve. You may sprinkle them with a pinch of salt before serving if desired.
Build your taco with shells, shrimp, sauce, and toppings of your preference.
If you try this Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos recipe and like it, please use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in my story! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
MORE SHRIMP RECIPES
Do you love seafood? Here are some more easy shrimp recipes you can put on your menu. They are all so different that you should try all of them at least once.
- Sriracha Garlic Sheet Pan Shrimp
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Shrimp Fajita Skillet
- Pineapple Shrimp Salad
- Chili Shrimp Taco Salad
- Creamy Southwest Shrimp Salad
Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Coleslaw
PINEAPPLE COLESLAW INGREDIENTS
- 1 package coleslaw mix
- 1 cup pineapple thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
SPICY SOUR CREAM SAUCE
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
BANG BANG SHRIMP
- 2 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lbs shrimp
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 12 corn tortillas
- Canola oil for frying
- Pico de gallo
- Lime wedges
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for the coleslaw. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for spicy sour cream. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a small round skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/2" canola oil. When the oil is hot, fry the corn tortillas until golden and crispy, approximately 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- In a separate skillet heat 2 1/2 Tbsp canola oil. Dredge shrimp in beaten egg and then flour. Add to pan and fry until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Separate the spicy sour cream in half. Add shrimp to half the sauce, tossing to coat.
- To assemble to tacos, top crispy tortillas with coleslaw, then shrimp. Top with pico de gallo, guacamole, and drizzle with remaining spicy sour cream. Finish with cilantro.
- Bang Bang Shrimp are best enjoyed the day they are made
- The slaw can be refrigerated for 2 to 3 days, so you can make a larger batch of it in advance, then cook the shrimp just before serving.
- The spicy sour cream is good in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Allow shrimp to drain on paper towels until ready to serve. You may sprinkle them with a pinch of salt before serving if desired.
- Customize with your favorite toppings.
- Make it spicy by adding pickled Jalapenos
- Assemble when ready to eat.
- Cook shrimp right before you eat to enjoy the crisp effect.