Cook pasta al dente and save the pasta water.
Finely dice the onions and mince the garlic.
In a skillet, heat some vegetable oil and sauté the onions until they are tender then add in the ground beef. Add the black pepper, minced garlic and taco seasoning. Cook the ground beef for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
Add in the pasta water, tomato pure sauce and the salsa. Let it simmer on low heat to cook well for 8-10 minutes.
Add in the cooked pasta and mix to coat well. Cover to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add in the cheese and stir another time then cover and cook for another 2 minutes to melt the cheese. You can check if you need more salt at this point.
Remove and let it cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- If you don't want to use beef, you can easily swap for ground chicken or turkey.
- Make sure to use a big nonstick skillet. With all the pasta, it won’t cook properly in a small pan.
- You can always add in some diced jalapeños or cayenne pepper to the recipe to spice it up.
- You can swap whole wheat pasta if you wish, just adjust the cooking time of the pasta accordingly.
- I used pasta shells for this recipe, they're like little tacos! But you can use other pasta. I'd opt for pasta with nooks and crannies, like fussilli or penne, so it can catch all that delicious sauce!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 700kcal | Carbohydrates: 70.1g | Protein: 45.8g | Fat: 26.1g | Saturated Fat: 15.5g | Sodium: 1291.6mg | Sugar: 9g