Buffalo Chicken Mac N' Cheese
This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese has succulent chicken tossed with pasta in a spicy and creamy cheese sauce. It's a delicious twist on classic macaroni and cheese
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
In a large skillet (oven safe, if not you can transfer to baking dish later), melt the butter. Add in the flour and whisk to form a pasty texture.
Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. Keep whisking and simmer for the sauce to thicken up.
Once it thickens up, add in the spices, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, salt, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
Whisk and simmer everything well until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Add in the cooked pasta and shredded chicken. Mix everything to coat well.
If you are using an oven safe skillet, leave everything as is in the pan. If you are transferring to a baking dish, do so now.
Top the dish with the remainder of the shredded cheese. Drizzle the 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce on top.
Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until gold and bubbly. Remove and let it rest for a few minutes then add some chopped parsley on top for garnishing. Serve and enjoy.
- Use a preheated oven.
- Use plenty of water, so once the noodles begin to cook and expand, there will still be plenty of room for the pasta to move freely.
- Make sure to stir your pasta right after you drop it in. This prevents sticking.
- Drain your pasta but don't let it 'dry off', otherwise the pasta will become too hard.
- Ideally shred your own cheese. Pre shredded cheese is coating in anti caking agents, which means it doesn't melt well.
- I used fusilli pasta, it's got lots of nooks and crannies and holds up well in the oven. You can of course use other pasta shapes, just don't go too small or the pasta might break down.
- You can of course buy and shred your own chicken breasts, but rotisserie chicken works just as well.
- Whole milk will give you the thickest, creamiest sauce.
- Currently, this Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese recipe gives you a medium spice. If you want more or less heat, you can adjust the level of hot sauce.
- Top with fresh parsley for a pop of freshness.
Calories: 617kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 1037mg | Potassium: 455mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1954IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 529mg | Iron: 2mg