Namoura (نمورة), is a delicious Lebanese cake/dessert that is super easy to make and widely known across the Middle East. It is topped with almonds, baked and then soaked with an aromatic sugar.
- 3 cups semolina flour (coarse)
- 1.5 cup melted butter
- 1.5 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not Greek)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used Carnation)
- 3 tbsp. orange blossoms water
- 2 tbsps.. tahini paste
- 1/2 cup almonds, (peeled and halved)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsps. orange blossoms water
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, semolina, and butter together. Add in the milk, orange blossoms water, baking powder, yogurt and mix well to obtain a thick sticky batter.
- Brush a non-stick sheet pan with the tahini paste and then place the batter on it and spread out with a spatula or your palm.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then cut out the namoura into square patterns or diamond shape patterns, whatever you prefer.
- Bake the Namoura cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, and then turn on the broiler to broil the top a few minutes if you would like to obtain a darker golden color.
- Remove from the oven and pour 1 1/4 cup of sugar syrup evenly over the Namoura while it’s hot. Let it cool at room temperature before serving.
- In a small pot, mix the sugar and water well until the sugar dissolves. Bing to boil and then start timing 5 minutes time on low-medium heat.
- Add in the lemon juice and orange blossoms water and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool down.
Prepare sugar syrup during bake time or before.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 20.6g
- Sodium: 16.2g
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Carbohydrates: 44.1g
- Protein: 5.8g
Keywords: Namoura (نمورة)